Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Various drugs will be administered making you very relaxed, non-apprehensive, and sleepy; you will have no memory of the surgery. As a result of the drugs used and your sleepy condition, certain precautions must be observed.
- You must provide a responsible adult to act as an escort to drive you home and to supervise your activities for the remainder of that day. This escort must be present during the appointment to ensure they are readily available following completion of the procedure. We cannot begin the sedation or seat you in a surgical room until your escort is present.
- Advise Dr. Kiely of any medicines or pills you are taking. Do not take any other medicines without our knowledge and approval.
- NO eating or drinking 8 hours before your appointment. Most appointments are in the morning. If you eat or drink nothing after midnight the night before and for-go any morning coffee, tea etc. you will have no problems. If you have been instructed to take your morning medications, then do so with a sip of water.
- Notify us if you develop a cold, sore throat, cough, fever, or any other illness prior to your appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing with sleeves that can easily be drawn up past the elbow. Do not wear heavy eye makeup, false eyelashes, or finger nail polish. If you wear contact lenses, please remove then when you arrive at the clinic.
- Arrive promptly for your appointment. Late arrival may necessitate cancellation of your appointment.
Full mental awareness will not return for several hours and, therefore, for the remainder of the day you should limit activity requiring full concentration power. You will NOT be able to:
a. Drive an automobile or operate machinery.
b. Undertake business matters.
c. Drink alcoholic beverages.